When you reach a point where you have to eke out your little supplies of basic needs, debts strike like a sharp knife. The only option left is borrowing or accruing more debt. But how can you manage your debt crisis? Is it possible to avoid debts completely? Is it always necessary to borrow?
How can you manage a debt crisis?
Managing a debt crisis is not an easy task. It requires consistent financial discipline all the time. Just like a patient, the first thing you need to accept is that you are in serious debt and no miracle is coming for your rescue. You need to sort out the problem on your own. Then, after noting the situation you are in, apply the following tips:
- Live within your capacity: Plan your expenditure so that you always live within your means even if you constantly use your credit card to buy items. Don’t borrow out of want, just buy what you need.
- Cut down on your expenditure: This is the time you can cut down on your expenditure on avoidable items like cell phone bills, fancy clothing, unnecessary dinners and other items.
- Buy from the cheapest sources: When you go shopping, take time to compare prices of items. Even if you are in a hurry, don’t just buy because you have found what you are looking for. Save some money by buying at the cheapest price available.
- Take up some activities consuming your cash: Think about who washes your car and how much you spend on it or who delivers certain goods and services you can easily do on your own. Why not take them up and save some cash?
- Engage in income generating activities: Cutting down on your expenditure also requires that you generate more income. You can get a part-time job, start a small business or do activities for others at a fee.
Is it possible to avoid debt completely?
This question usually comes up when someone is in serious debt. Past experience has revealed that there are people who have lived without debt. Remaining in control with your debt does not depend on the amount of money you earn. It depends on your financial discipline. You need to spend less and generate more money. In order to avoid debt completely, train your mind to buy only what you have budgeted for. Before incurring any debt, look at your ability to pay back not your ability to buy on credit. With consistent management of your expenditure, it is very possible to avoid debt completely.
Is it always necessary to borrow?
Look at the list of items you bought on credit in the recent past. Do you really need all those items? If you did not buy them what would have happened to you? Not all items we buy on credit deserve the sacrifice we go through. Therefore, it is better to remember that some items are not needs. We do without them. This is the reason it is not always necessary to buy on credit, and managing debt is not a privilege for some people but a fair challenge for everyone.